The Voice Department consists of approximately 95 undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate students, eight private voice teachers, ten individually assigned coach-accompanists and specialists in diction, pedagogy and physiology. Because the Conservatory is situated within walking distance to the San Francisco Opera House and Davies Symphony Hall, students enjoy impromptu visits from many internationally acclaimed artists, who offer invaluable information about performing and starting a career.
In 2011-2012, the Opera Theater department performed two fully staged operas; Hansel and Gretel
by Humperdinck and Così fan tutte
by Mozart with guest conductor Giuseppe Finzi
of the San Francisco Opera. These were presented along with Menotti’s one-act operas The Telephone
and The Medium
. The vocal program also presented La bohème, Act III
by Puccini and The Impressario
by Mozart. Along with Fredrica von Stade and Lofti Monsouri the department presented also presented Trio Passionale - The Lives of Robert and Clara Schumann and
along with Fredrica von Stade
and Lofti Monsouri Johannes Brahmns, a Salon Musicale.
- One 50-minute coaching session with personal accompanist every week in addition to one 50-minute lesson (which the accompanist also attends)
- Vocal Performance Lab: Two-hour performance class every week with all vocal students and faculty; includes master classes, studio classes and student performances
- Voice Department Recitals: opportunity to perform on one or more of ten evening recitals per year, open to the public
- Two fully staged, fully costumed operas per year
- Two to three one-act operas each semester
- Six evenings of opera scenes each semester
- New Music Ensemble
- Four evenings of Musical Theater performances
- Annual Vocal Concerto Competition: winner performs with the Conservatory Orchestra
- Various departmental collaborations including compositions and chamber music
- Annual Baroque opera or oratorio, plus two Baroque recitals per year
- Conservatory Chorus: Two performances per year including major works
- Chamber Choir: Three performances per year including major works
Catherine Cook, chair
We encourage prospective students to contact the voice faculty to arrange a consultative lesson. The voice faculty and the Office of Music Admission are happy to answer any specific questions that you have about our program.
Please visit our SFCM Voice Facebook Page!
LINK TO VOICE DEPARTMENT HANDBOOK