The Conservatory's Guitar Department features five world-renowned guitar faculty dedicated to mentoring a new generation of excellent guitarists, interesting and expressive artists and performer-teachers. Guitar students at the Conservatory are given a broad range of skills and opportunities, through collaboration with composers, instrumentalists and vocalists, through teaching and scholarship and through extensive opportunities to perform. An extensive collection of 25+ instruments, including a Smallman, two Rubios and a lute, enhances this comprehensive program of study.
GUITAR DEPARTMENT: AT A GLANCE
- Five guitar faculty
- Over 40 guitar students total in program
- Weekly guitar class, as well as master classes offered by guest artists
- Opportunities to play chamber repertoire and early music and to collaborate with other instrumentalists
- Opportunities to collaborate with the composition department
- Instrument collection of 25+ instruments includes a Smallman, two Rubios, two theorbos, two Baroque guitars, lutes and 19th-century guitars
- Eight guitar department recitals per year and an annual Guitar/Voice Department collaboration.
- Biannual Guitar Concerto Competition - winner plays with the Conservatory Orchestra
- Biannual Wesley Day Solo Guitar Recording Competition awards the winning student a fully funded CD production and a CD release tour of California cities
- Conservatory Guitar Ensemble performs regularly throughout Northern California. Highlights include the 2000 tour with Steve Reich as well as the commission and premiere of works by Steve Mackey, Terry Riley, Jorge Liderman and many others
- The Bay Area is one of the most active classical guitar scenes in the United States
- The 2008 GFA International Convention and Competition were held in San Francisco, and the new Conservatory facilities were used for competition and evening concerts
David Tanenbaum chair, guitar department
We encourage prospective students to contact the guitar faculty to arrange a consultative lesson. The guitar faculty and the Office of Music Admission are happy to answer any specific questions that you have about our program.
DOWNLOAD THE GUITAR DEPARTMENT MANUAL (pdf)
CLASSES TO VISIT