All applicants to the San Francisco Conservatory of Music must complete an audition. The following instrument areas require a prescreen recording, which is reviewed by faculty to determine if the applicant will be invited to a live audition at the Conservatory or at a regional site: chamber music, composition, technology and applied composition, conducting, piano and voice. For more information, review our prescreen requirements.
Auditions for the San Francisco Conservatory of Music occur in one of three manners: a live audition at the Conservatory, an audition at a regional site, or a final audition recording. Live auditions are recommended for all applicants and are required for certain instrument areas. Applicants who audition at the Conservatory will have an opportunity to explore our building, meet faculty and current students, and observe classes and rehearsals.
Live auditions at the Conservatory are required of the following applicants:
- Anyone residing in California
- Graduate voice applicants residing in North America (United States, Canada, Mexico)
- Graduate applicants for chamber music, conducting, percussion, timpani or organ
- Applicants for Postgraduate Diplomas
Regional auditions are available for the following applicants:
- Undergraduate applicants residing outside of California (except percussion and organ).
- Undergraduate voice applicants may audition at a regional audition site.
- Graduate applicants residing within North America (except voice, conducting, chamber music, percussion, timpani or organ).
Final Audition Recordings are accepted from the following applicants:
- Undergraduate applicants residing outside of California
- Graduate applicants residing outside of North America (except chamber music and conducting)
- Composition applicants and Technology and Applied Composition applicants are strongly encouraged to audition at either a San Francisco audition or at a regional audition site. However, if unable to make a live audition, undergraduate and international applicants may submit a final piano recording to accompany their portfolio.
- PLEASE NOTE: Final recordings are due by December 1st with the online application.
- Final recordings must be submitted online here.
Auditions in San Francisco for fall 2016 will be held on the following weekends. Instrument specific dates will be announced later this summer.
January 24th and 25th
January 31st and February 1st
February 7th and 8th
February 14th and 15th
Chamber Music individuals (by invitation)
Chamber Music preformed groups (by invitation)
| Composition (by invitation)|
Technology and Applied Composition
| Harp||By Appointment|
| Harpsichord||By Appointment|
| Historical Keyboards ||By Appointment|
| Organ||By Appointment|
| Percussion |
| Piano (by invitation)|
| Collaborative Piano||TBA|
| Trombone-Bass |
Domestic Regional Auditions
| Interlochen||January 9, 2016|
| Chicago||January 11, 2016|
| Boston|| February 24, 2016|
| New York||February 26-27, 2016|
| || |
Asia Regional Auditions
| Guangzhou||October, 2015 TBA|
| Shanghai||October, 2015 TBA|
| Beijing||October, 2015 TBA|
Asia auditions are in partnership with USA Schools of Music . Please visit the link for more information!