Auditions: "What to Expect"
On the day of your audition:
- Arrive at 50 Oak St, receive a visitor's pass from security
- Check-in at the admissions table on the cafe level.
- Be sure to find out about the information session and tours that will be going on throughout the audition day when you check-in. You can expect to spend most of your day at SFCM.
- Warm up in your designated warm up room
- Arrive 15 minutes before your audition time at performance hall (there will be a small warm up room there)
If your repertoire list is different from the list you sent in with your application, have an updated one ready to give to the jury
During your audition:
- Audition panel will say a few words to you and usually, they will let you begin with whatever piece on the required list you would like to perform.
- Usually you will not perform all your pieces from beginning to end so do not get worried if they cut you off in the middle of your piece!
After your audition:
- You're done- Congratulations!
- If you'd like to have a tour of the building, contact the admissions office or find a greeter at the entrance to the building.
- Be sure to check your handout for information session times and meetings with current students.
- Take time to explore the area around the conservatory (ie: Hayes Street) and enjoy the city.
- You will be notified of admission by March 15 if you are a graduate student or by April 1 if you are an undergraduate student
The days before and after your audition:
- You can feel free to sit in on classes and rehearsals while you are here in San Francisco. Please check out our classes to visit page and spring 2015 schedule for class schedules.
- Check our performance calender to see if there are any SFCM concerts or recitals you would like to see.
- Depending on their availability, most teachers are willing to give you a consultative lesson before or after your audition. Contact them in advance to schedule a lesson time while you're in San Francisco. You can find their contact information in their bios here, or, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to get their contact information.
- Get out and explore beautiful San Francisco!