The Conservatory application consists of:
Audition: in San Francisco, at a regional site or by Final recording.
Prescreen recording required in chamber music, composition, technology and applied composition, conducting, piano and voice. Submit here.
Two letters of recommendation (uploaded to your applicant record by the recommender)
Academic transcripts (please upload these records to your online application)
English language proficiency requirement (required of non-native English speakers) Please note that all applicants with an English language requirement must submit a TOEFL score, or proof ofregistration, by the December 1st deadline in order to be scheduled for an audition. The score does not need to be a passing score at the time of application. Applicants may also choose to submit an IELTS score or an ELS Language Center score.
Special note for applicants to the Technology and Applied Composition program: SFCM is now accepting applications for fall 2015 admission. Applicants who apply by the early action deadline of December 1 receive priority consideration for merit-based scholarships and notification of admission and financial aid decisions by March 1; those who apply by the extended deadline of February 1 receive admission and financial aid decisions by April 1.
ATTENTION APPLICANTS FROM MAINLAND CHINA: As you may be aware, our online application is temporarily unavailable in mainland China due to firewall restrictions. The deadline for applications is December 1st but we will continue to work with those applicants who have issues submitting before the deadline.
There are two separate ways to access the online application:
1) We strongly prefer that you complete your original application using a VPN (Virtual Private Network). This will allow you to bypass the firewall and access the main application. This is the easiest way to ensure that we get all of the information we need. Instructions on how to install and run a VPN are provided here.
We know that media uploads can be slow using a VPN so if you have issues uploading your recordings, please contact email@example.com and they will help you complete the upload.
2) If you cannot set up a VPN, DecisionDesk has provided a supplemental application form that is not blocked by the firewall. To apply using this service:
Should you need any assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Getting to know SFCM:
- Bios for our entire faculty may be found here.
- We encourage our prospective students to have a consultative lesson should they decide to visit the Conservatory. Please contact the facutly directly to set up a lesson.
- To schedule a tour of SFCM contact the admissions office or at 800-899-SFCM
- Prospective students are welcome to attend SFCM rehearsal and concerts. Please see our Performance Calendar to plan your visit.